Friday, April 12, 2024

Excitement Brews as Memphis Gets Plastered with Vengeance Trail Posters!

(Day 11 Counting Down to Memphis Premiere on April 23!)


The last few days, I have been busy asking establishments if they have a classifieds section for displaying local events. I've had a mostly positive reception and some very enthusiastic; "I love Westerns" and "I'm absolutely coming to this [screening]." Very encouraging!

I've been plastering the poster at various venues. Some have obvious cork boards for local events. Others surprised me by taping a double sided poster to their front glass.  You can't assume, you just have to ask.


No one mentioned the guns on the poster, but I learned that if the guns aren't pointing at anyone it's more okay. And this is Memphis where everyone seems to have a gun. I was told today that the difference in gun laws between Tennessee and California are "night and day." In Los Angeles, we worried that other parents or teachers wouldn't approve of our kids playing with Nerf guns, and Getty Images wouldn't approve footage from my "Nerf for Noobs" short film, when my DP tried to sell the footage.


Yesterday's successes:

  • 1 out of 4 mom-and-pop coffee shops. The chains don't have a classified section.
  • 2 out of 2 public libraries. Admin had to approve.
  • 2 out of 3 bars or breweries. One owner doesn't like fliers and posters.
  • 2 out of 2 pizza joints.
  • 1 running shoe company.
  • 1 video rental store with 30K movie archive. They didn't have the DVD so I gave them one.
  • 1 out of 2 guns and ammo stores displayed the poster, but much interest from employees.
  • 1 playhouse and 1 ballet company.

Today, I spread out south, including just across the border into Mississippi.

  • 4 Western clothing stores.
  • 1 film gear rental company.
  • 1 Army surplus store.
  • 2 Gun stores.
The last store I found by accident, actually a gun repair shop. We got to chatting for a long time because these guys were Navy vets and SASS (single action shooting society) shooters, and they knew all about chain guns, gatling guns and howitzers. My experience was from working as a special effects assistant on The Last Samurai and We Were Soldiers. Then I learned that one of the men worked as an extra on Andersonville. I earned my SAG card on that movie in 1993 after 51 days as an extra. Man, did we have memories to share. Set life!


And, I learned about the Bill Pickett Rodeo tomorrow at the Memphis Agricenter, 10 miles from me!


Ian Max

No comments:

Post a Comment

Juggling a New Ball that's Not So New! Now that the extreme push for Vengeance Trail's theatrical premiere is over, not that there a...