Thursday, May 25, 2023

TBT: Vengeance Trail, and How Violent Is It Really?

I'm hoping to launch Pre Sales of my Western, VENGEANCE TRAIL, on June 1.

So, I've been asking friends for feedback on this Sneak Preview. One friend said:

Ian, I watched it. Just a quick thought...there is a lot of shoot 'em up [in the trailer]. A lot. My sound was low as I was watching so I noticed it quickly, especially towards the end. I'm not sure if that's your intent, I know it's a Western...but just a heads up. Otherwise, I am mighty impressed!!!! 

Great note! Yes, I hadn't remembered there being so much shooting when I was last familiar with the movie, when we shot it in 2002-03 and released it in 2006. It's one of those things where, recreating violence on set, whether it be blood effects or stunts, can be fun and funny in the context of a group of friends making a movie, but when put together with dramatic storytelling, sound effects and music, becomes a sobering depiction of, well, violence.

Yes, Vengeance Trail is violent, but it also has heart. It's a traditional morality tale with period accurate sets, costumes, and dialogue. Will we make a less violent version by changing the color of blood from red to brown and cutting back some of the language? Not likely at this stage. But I'm open to suggestions.

Also, initially I had no intention of creating a new trailer from scratch and just wanted to match better footage to the existing trailer and give it a little upgrade. Since I couldn't modify the length or structure of the trailer due to the music being mixed with the dialogue and effects, I replaced some title cards with new footage and did the best I could. In retrospect, I do notice how much shooting there is, and that it overpowers the dramatic conflict of the story. 

Here's the current trailer, an upgraded version of the original. Here's a tamer version, because certain distributors have rules about violence.

Now that I'm planning a marketing and pre sales strategy for Vengeance Trail, I'm considering creating new trailers, behind the scenes insights using stunts outtakes and horse moments, and upgrading the documentary about the vintage guns that's on the DVD. But this all takes time and I need to start the sales funnel in order to hire an editor.

As another friend responded:

Make the audience/customer the hero of the story. 

What is at stake? 

Why should the funder back this project? 

What is the urgency?  

What's in it for them? 

What is your call to action? 


Howdy, Western lover! What are you going to watch after you’ve binge watched Yellowstone and all its spinoffs? Hollywood Guns and Props has all sorts of props, costumes, and screenplays just laying around. Think of all the other Westerns we could have made if we’d made a profit with Vengeance Trail the first time. Purchase the digitally upgraded Vengeance Trail in advance and be part of the excitement of helping release amazing Westerns to the world.

Hope you enjoy Vengeance Trail! Please put your notes in the comments.

Ian


No comments:

Post a Comment

STAR in ATTENDANCE! (Day T-1 Count Down to Worldwide Theatrical Premiere on April 23!) Tomorrow's screening will be a chance for our aud...