Thursday, April 6, 2023

Vertical Filmmaking Madness

I'm finally embracing vertical filmmaking with "Be Brave, Daddy!" #Shorts


I used to joke about wanting to go into someone's house and see the TV mounted to the wall vertically. Actually, someone should make a TV wall mount that you can remotely rotate 90 degrees, depending on what you're watching. Because seeing an HD video squeezed vertically with those massive black bars on the sides seems like a waste of a large screen TV.

I once stunt coordinated a vertical format show, and it drove me crazy when they had a nice car and you could only see some fraction of the car in a wide shot. Unfortunately, my episodes got cancelled before they streamed, but you can check out the show SOLVE here.

In my first blog post, I talked about one of my videos that sat on YouTube doing next to nothing, then took off for the stars. Well, after reaching 24M views, it flatlined and the last 18 months looks like the first 6 years. But, YouTube has recently launched Shorts, their vertical, under 60 seconds, video channel for the landscape challenged. 

So, here's "Be Brave, Daddy!" revisited as a #Shorts. Throw Back Thursday is perfect for YouTube Shorts.

And if you want to know how the sausage was made, here's a BTS look at the stunt rigging of "Be Brave, Daddy!"

My only frustration is that I didn't scout the location and when we showed up to shoot I realized that my computer monitor was the exact same color as the wall, lol. I guess I could have paid a VFX artist to change the color.

BTW, yours truly made those pajamas. What do y'all think?

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

STAR in ATTENDANCE! (Day T-1 Count Down to Worldwide Theatrical Premiere on April 23!) Tomorrow's screening will be a chance for our aud...