Thursday, April 27, 2023

TBT: Getting Gored by a Plastic Bull

Ever wonder how characters defy gravity or experience extreme violence - safely?


It's all an illusion. Except, sometimes it hurts. 

Here's behind the scenes of a stunt I did on a Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest spec that I wrote and directed, called "Toreadoritos."  The previous owner of our house had hung a kick bag off an eye that mounted in the ceiling. So, I designed a stunt around that. And I cast someone whom I could stunt double. And then I trained four people to run out the door fast enough to unwind me and lift me several feet in the air, then dump me onto some toys. Ouch. 

My son Jackson, age 11, was a trooper. He dove against a decelerator device attached to a harness under his wardrobe a dozen times before we were happy with where his plastic horns gored my acting double. As you can see, the timing of Jackson goring me didn't work on this behind the scenes take, so I had to pound the ground again. 

More info about the stunt rigging here.

Was it worth it? It got 780K views on YouTube, so yes. In Ad Sales that was $290, so not really. 

When I found footage for this stunt, I also found other footage, inlcuding some cute previz with my kids and wife, before we cast her acting double, lol. 

The parents were our friends Skylar Payne and Renee Mytar. The cute girl is my daughter Kiran, age 8 at the time. 

Stay tuned. Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

STAR in ATTENDANCE! (Day T-1 Count Down to Worldwide Theatrical Premiere on April 23!) Tomorrow's screening will be a chance for our aud...